Let’s face it, most pets love to play!
From quirky little kittens to the chatter and chirps of your budgie, right along with our happy hounds. Play time is fun and rewarding for both you and your pets.
While keeping your pet’s optimal safety and well-being in mind we’ve come up with our Top Pet Toy Safety Tips:
You should consider a variety of factors when choosing your pet’s toys.
1. Purchase Appropriate Pet Toys
- Make sure you are choosing species appropriate pet toys. Pet toys are typically designed with one pet species in mind.
- Choose age appropriate pet toys. Puppies and kittens will often require softer toys for their baby teeth.
- Consider the size of the toy in relation to the size of your pet (offering inappropriate toy sizes can lead to choking and worse).
- Durability of the toy and material it’s made from. For example, if your dog is known to destroy plush and consume any part of the toy, including but not limited to stuffing, than its best to avoid or look for more durable plush.
- Choosing toys that are most durable for your pet will offer longer, more effective play.
Sorry folks, balls of yarn are not appropriate for cats!
2. Monitor Play
- Being present and monitoring pet play is essential in their safety.
- Be sure to discard any damaged pet toys immediately. It’s not worth the risks!
- Remove any toys that your pet may be at risk of injuring themselves with right away.
- Never leave your pet with any pet toy they might destroy or consume.
3. Choose Pet Friendly Material
- Ensure your pets are not consuming toxic materials. A common one we see pet parents unknowingly giving their dogs is rawhide. Natural rawhide is a specialty product and usually harder to find.
- Avoid giving any pet a pet toy that they might consume and cause blockage.
- Know your sources.
4. Remove Labels and Cut Tags
- Be sure to remove all labels and cut tags from your pet’s toys. We shouldn’t need to expand on this!
5. Read Instructions and Product Information
- Follow directions as provide for desired results from the pet toys you choose.
- Any special instructions will be there.
- Cleaning and maintenance tips are usually provided to maximize the life of a pet toy.
6. Use Pet Toys For Their Intended Purpose Only
- Use pet toys as directed.
- It’s not recommended that you modify or alter any pet toys ever. Especially those with any type of electronic device.
7. Sanitize Your Pets Toys Every Now and Then
- As regular pet toy maintenance you should consider sanitizing your pet’s toys regularly.
- Sanitation not only keeps things smelling fresh but also helps control disease, parasites and any other ailment you pets may be at risk of.
8. Inspect Your Pet’s Toys Regularly
- Inspect your pet’s toys regularly for any damage.
- Rips, splits and tears should be dealt with immediately.
- Discard any damaged toys.
Now that you’ve read our tips it’s time for some happy, healthy play. Paws up and tail wags!!
We’d love to hear any other tips you might have! Please share in the comment section below!
Photo credit: iStock.com