Have you heard of water intoxication?
Water intoxication is the ingestion of too much water resulting in a potentially fatal condition called hyponatremia.
Hyponatremia happens when a dogs body cannot process the amount of water taken in which ultimately causes the sodium levels to drop to dangerously low levels. Sodium is required to maintain a dogs blood pressure and aids with the functioning of muscles and nerves. When the sodium level drops to these levels swelling occurs in the cells which include the brain.
Symptoms to watch for:
- Staggering, loss of coordination
- Glazed eyes
- Dilated pupils
- Pale gums
- Excessive drooling
In extremely severe cases you might see difficulty breathing, loss of consciousness, seizure or death.
You’ve got to be wondering if your dog is at risk!
Dogs that are spending hours playing in the water, lapping or biting it up; as well as diving and retrieving objects are the ones to watch closest.
Small breeds and dogs that excessively drink water during or after vigorous exercise or love to be sprayed with the hose are also at potential risk of this often fatal condition.
Water intoxication can come on very quickly and is life threatening so it’s important to seek veterinary care as soon as your dog is showing any of the symptoms listed above.
Ways to avoid water intoxication include:
- Always monitor your dogs in and around water.
- Take frequent breaks.
- Slowly re-hydrate after exercise.
- Watch for any changes in behavior or appearance.
- Be aware of the signs and symptoms.
For further information on this life threatening condition you can go here and read more from Dr Karen Becker. Be sure to share this with your fellow dog owners! It’s important that we all be aware.
The first time that I ever heard of this the ultimate price was paid. A beautiful life was lost. This information piece is written in her honor in hopes that one life can be saved.